BUTTERMILK PANCAKES / Vegan for One
Nondairy milk is combined with a little cider vinegar to make a vegan version of buttermilk, which is combined with a few pantry staples to create these light and fluffy pancakes. Serve them with your choice of toppings, such as vegan butter, maple syrup, or agave nectar.
2⁄3 cup plain or vanilla nondairy milk
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon sunflower oil or other oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes: Replace the unbleached all-purpose flour with 1⁄3 cup buckwheat flour and 1⁄3 cup brown rice or white rice flour.
1. Put the milk and vinegar in a small bowl and stir to combine. Let rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Add the milk mixture, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to the flour mixture and whisk until just combined. A few lumps are fine, but don’t overmix or the pancakes will be tough. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
4. Lightly oil a large nonstick skillet or griddle or mist it with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
5. When the skillet is hot, portion the batter into it using 1⁄3 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until the edges of the pancakes are dry and the bottoms are lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip the pancakes over and cook until lightly browned on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Lightly oil the skillet between batches and repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot.
Save for Later: Stored in an airtight container, the extra pancakes will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator. Warm in a skillet over low heat before serving.
Per serving: 118 calories, 1 g protein, 8 g fat (1 g sat), 10 g carbs, 454 mg sodium, 220 mg calcium, 1 g fiber
Our Books | Contact Us | About BPC | Return Policy | Manuscript Submission
BPC, PO Box 99, Summertown TN, 38483
Orders: 888.260.8458 | Office: 931.964.3571 | FAX: 931.964.3518
info at bpc-pub.com