PUMPKIN PIE with Pastry Crust
This is best made with a food processor or blender to get a smooth, creamy consistency.
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick of margarine or butter or 2/3 cup of oil
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
3/4 pound tofu, crumbled
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (packed) brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
PASTRY CRUST (this recipe makes enough dough for covered pies so you'll have some leftover.)
1. Preheat the oven to 400º.
2. Using a pastry blender, mix the flour, salt, and margarine/butter/ or oil until it looks like crumbs.
3. Work the ice water in with a fork, to make a ball of dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface, pat and roll the dough into a circle 1 inch bigger all around the top of your baking dish. Turn the edges under neatly, then go around the rim of the crust with the tines of a fork, pressing the edges down to seal.
1. Have the pastry crust ready in a pie pan.
2. Heat the oven to 400º.
3. Put into a food processor or blender the tofu, oil, and salt and process until smooth.
4. Blend the brown sugar, flour, pumpkin, cinnamon, powdered ginger, nutmet and vanilla extract all at once in the processor, or measure into a bowl and process in 2 batches in a blender.
5. When the filling is well blended, pour it into the pastry shell. Set the timer for 10 minutes, and bake. Reduce the heat to 350º, reset the timer for 40 to 45 minutes, and continue baking.
Serve warm or chilled.
Our Books | Contact Us | About BPC | Return Policy | Manuscript Submission
BPC, PO Box 99, Summertown TN, 38483
Orders: 888.260.8458 | Office: 931.964.3571 | FAX: 931.964.3518
info at bpc-pub.com